[Languagechange News] Call for papers and ACL workshop

Nina Tahmasebi nina.tahmasebi at gu.se
Mon Jul 15 10:28:48 CEST 2019

Dear all,

We are approaching ACL and our first international workshop on
Historical Language Change. The program is now up and you can find it
on:  https://languagechange.org/events/2019-acl-lcworkshop/
We are very much looking forward to meeting you all there!
For those of you who cannot make it, we are working on (at least)
filming the keynotes and making them available on the workshop site. The
presentations and posters will also be uploaded there after the
workshop. Keep a look out!

We also want to make you aware of a relevant workshop in Germany next
year on Word Sense Divergences across Language Varieties, the call for
papers is posted below.

We wish you all a great summer and hope to see you soon!

All the best!

*** Call for Abstracts ***

*Empirical Studies of Word Sense Divergences across Language Varieties*

Workshop at the Annual Conference of the German Linguistic Society
(DGfS) 2020
University of Hamburg, Germany
March 4-6, 2020

http://www.ims.uni-stuttgart.de/events/dgfs-20-ws/

----------

Workshop description:

Words change their senses not only over time but also across
communities, domains, dialects, registers, and other language varieties
(Wieling & Nerbonne, 2015; Wiese & Pohle, 2016; Del Tredici & Fernandez,
2017; Ferrari et al., 2017; Hovy & Purschke, 2018; Schlechtweg et al.,
2019; i.a.).

An example for a diachronic sense divergence is the German noun
"Vorwort", which was mainly used in the meaning of "preposition" before
ca. 1800 (Paul, 2002; Schlechtweg et al., 2018). Then it rapidly
acquired a new meaning "preface", which after 1850 has nearly
exclusively been used. An example for a synchronic domain specific sense
divergence is the German noun "Schnee" (Hätty et al., 2019). In
general-language use, "Schnee" predominantly refers to "snow", while in
the cooking domain the predominant meaning is the domain-specific
"beaten egg whites". The German verb "heben" is an example for a
dialectal lexical variation (Boberg et al., 2018), as it is used in the
meaning "to lift" in standard German, while in the Southern-German
dialect Swabian it is used in the meaning "to hold".

The above examples exhibit different predominant word senses with regard
to specific language varieties. While each research field on language
variety has its own tradition to explore word sense divergences, both
from a theoretical and from an empirical perspective, this workshop aims
to bring together interdisciplinary studies on lexical semantic
divergences across time, domains, registers, and further language
varieties.

We invite research contributions across languages and across research
disciplines to provide and compare resources, corpus-based empirical
evidence and computational models for divergences in word meanings
across language varieties. Relevant aspects include (but are not
restricted to)

- investigations on word sense definition and discrimination;
- corpus-based examples and discussions of lexical sense divergences;
- frequency distributions of word senses across corpora for language
varieties;
- computational models to determine and measure lexical semantic change
and divergence;
- relevance of word sense divergences for theories and applications in
different fields.

----------

Invited speakers:

Barbara McGillivray,
Department of Theoretical and Applied Linguistics, University of
Cambridge, and The Alan Turing Institute

John Nerbonne,
Humanities Computing, University of Groningen, and Institute for
Advanced Studies, University of Freiburg

----------

Abstract submission:

We invite anonymous abstracts of up to 500 words (max. 1 page) for
30-minute oral presentations (20 minute presentation + discussion).

Abstracts should be submitted as PDF via EasyChair:
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=dgfs20ims

The deadline for submissions is August 26, 2019.

Please note that the regulations of the DGfS do not allow that workshop
participants present more than one abstract in the same or different
workshops, while it is possible to co-author more than one abstract.

----------

Travel grants:

The DGfS offers a limited number of travel grants of up to 500 Euro each
for accepted contributions by DGfS members without income or with low
income.

----------

Workshop organisers:

Dominik Schlechtweg,
Institut für Maschinelle Sprachverarbeitung, Universität Stuttgart

Sabine Schulte im Walde,
Institut für Maschinelle Sprachverarbeitung, Universität Stuttgart

--

Nina N. Tahmasebi, Ph.D.
Språkbanken • Center for Digital Humanities
nina.tahmasebi at gu.se

http://spraakbanken.gu.se/eng/personal/nina
https://languagechange.org/
https://cdh.hum.gu.se/