[Languagechange News] First project year - Towards Computational Lexical Semantic Change Detection

Nina Tahmasebi nina.tahmasebi at gu.se
Fri Dec 13 11:50:02 CET 2019

Dear all,
The first project year for the project Towards Computational Lexical Semantic Change Detection<https://languagechange.org/> is about to end and we would like to thank you for being with us during this year. It has been an eventful year with multiple interesting results:

  1.  We have arranged the first international workshop on computational approaches to historical language change (LChange'19)<https://languagechange.org/events/2019-acl-lcworkshop/> and we are planning for a follow-up in 2021;
  2.  We have participated in two local workshops on lexical semantic change in Helsinki (February 2019)<https://languagechange.org/events/2019-acl-lcworkshop-copy/> and London (November 2019)<https://languagechange.org/events/2019-turing-lcworkshop/>;
  3.  We are participating in SemEval with a task on unsupervised lexical semantic change detection<http://languagechange.org/semeval> that will run early 2020, there is still time to participate! ;
  4.  Together with Haim Dubossarsky, Simon Hengchen, and Dominik Schlechtweg, we published an ACL paper on lexical semantic change detection entitled Time-Out: Temporal Referencing for Robust Modeling of Lexical Semantic Change<https://www.aclweb.org/anthology/P19-1044> ;
  5.  We have two student annotations projects for qualitative analysis of LSC;
  6.  An ongoing project on sense-differentiated dynamic embeddings together with the Chalmers BigData-group;
  7.  A survey paper on computational approaches to lexical semantic change<https://arxiv.org/abs/1811.06278> on ArXiV;
  8.  And we are planning a book as a summary of the LChange'19 workshop. If you are interested in submitting a paper, let us know!
During 2020, we will continue our work on semantic change, both with computational models and our qualitative work. In addition, we will start our work on computational methods for detecting lexical replacements (like gay --> happy).
If you are interested in collaborating with us, please send us an email (info at languagechange.org<mailto:info at languagechange.org>).
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Kind regards,
  -Nina, on behalf of all project members.

--
Nina N. Tahmasebi, Associate Professor.
Språkbanken • Center for Digital Humanities

http://spraakbanken.gu.se/eng/personal/nina
https://languagechange.org/
https://cdh.hum.gu.se/
Skype: n.tahmasebi